EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION
Location: Flexible within SFF operating region
Position: Executive Director
Salary Range: $40,000 – $60,000
Download Announcement: Executive Director Position Announcement
About Spence Farm Foundation
Cultivating a Healthy Food System through Education. That is what Spence Farm Foundation (SFF) is all about. We believe that by helping to connect the key elements of a healthy food system to one another-farmer, chef, food industry, healthcare providers, educators, students and food citizens-supports sustainable production and leads to personal well-being. We have assisted new farms, developed education programs for professional chefs and culinary students, and educated students and professionals alike in the value of responsibly produced food. This is accomplished through professional Culinary Arts programs, workshops, speaking engagements, tours or field days, and other convenings.
Under the supervision of the Board of Directors of Spence Farm Foundation (SFF), the Executive Director will be the sole staff member managing the program of the organization, leading the implementation of our culinary education program, organizing fundraising events, promoting a healthy food system, creating a development/communications strategy, and supporting the expansion and growth of the foundation. We know this is a tall order and we are in search of a self starter, passionate individual who is excited by our mission, organized, creative, and inspirational. This position provides the opportunity to be entrepreneurial and gain hands-on experience in nonprofit operations, project management, and leadership.
Executive Director Role and Responsibilities
- Organizational Strategy and Programs
- Responsible for the implementation of SFF’s programs bucketed into two main areas Professional and Consumer Education and Building Rural Economies.
- Organize annual Bread and Chef Culinary Training Camps and expand the the programs beyond the approximately 4 events held annually.
- Represent SFF within the Artisan Grain Collaborative, a network of stakeholders working to promote regenerative farming through grains.
- Expand our rural facing programs including but not limited to field days, the Give and Grow Garden, Convenings, and other education events.
- Responsible for the creation of an Annual Strategic Plan of Work, to be approved by the Board in December for the next calendar year.
- Responsible for the growth and enhancement of the organization as we continue to increase in size.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the region and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance SFF’s Mission
- Fundraising and Financial Performance
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of SFF, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support SFF’s mission.
- Organize and manage the annual Harvest Feast Fundraiser.
- Seek to diversify revenue through the development of private donors, foundation relationships, and partnerships.
- Manage all contract and subcontract agreements, bills, and other fiscal responsibilities of the organization, with oversight from the Board Treasurer and Board of Directors.
- Organizational Operations
- Responsible effective administration of SFF operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff, contractors, and interns as needed, with oversight and approval from the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Manage all documents and SFF materials in an organized and systematic manner
- Serving as SFF’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and general public.
- Represent the foundation with the utmost integrity, professionalism, and enthusiasm at speaking engagements, conferences, during educational events, and to the general public
- Manage and utilize social media, the SFF website, and other platforms to increase the awareness of the foundations work.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Board Governance
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising, and to increase the overall visibility of the Foundation throughout the State. Our hope is to develop a close relationship built on trust and mutual passion for the mission.
- Responsible for leading SFF in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Expected to prepare Board Meeting Packets and Executive Reports and to work with the Board of Directors Chair in organizing Board Meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- Five or more years of related experience within the food system and agriculture sector.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting. Knowledge of quickbooks a plus.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey a vision of SFF’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Deep understanding of food and farm.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations.
- Event planning experience related to both professional and culinary events.
- Experience with farmer, culinary, of food system education a plus.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members, consultants, and volunteers.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Outgoing, enthusiastic, and comfortable speaking in public.
- Experience and expertise with social media and web based tools (Microsoft Suite, MailChimp, FB, Instagram, WordPress, Google Drive)
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate.
- Program development skills.
- Flexible, motivated, and able to stay engaged while working independently.
- Entrepreneurial and a Self-starter.
- This is a Full Time Exempt Position.
- As the only current staff member of the foundation, the Executive Director has flexibility in their work location.
- Some weekend and evening work should be expected for events on location, at fundraisers and as needed at conferences and speaking engagements.
- Compensation is commensurate with experience
Please email an application packet that includes the following:
- Cover Letter
- List of at least 2 references
All sent as one PDF to Gary Reding at email@example.com
Subject line: SFF Executive Director
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Application Submission Due Date: 4/30/18
No phone calls, please